Beach Association Directors Meet
CLEARWATER BEACH - At its February 1 meeting, the board of directors of the Clearwater Beach Association:
The board rejected the proposal to two-lane Mandalay at the location pointing out that heavy traffic used Mandalay, turning off at Bay Esplanade.
Instead the board requested a dedicated left lane, north bound at the intersection of Mandalay Avenue and Bay Esplanade, to solve the traffic hazard of moving into one lane.
- Agreed to carefully watch the developers and the city;
- Voted to continue to support city staff proposal for changes to the Old Florida District, urging no "flexibility" to height or setbacks be allowed so that individual builders may not overthrow what the city is trying to do in this area and to avoid repeating the concrete cavern effect found on Brightwater Drive, caused by height and setbacks flexibility;
- Agreed to keep an eye on the Hyatt Hotel plans for South Gulfview to assure that the city has some control over the 400 "public" parking spaces to be provided by the hotel and urge the city not to allow the developer to change to condos in the event that the hotel doesn't become a reality;
- Promised to keep an eye on the Beach Walk project to make sure the Department of Natural Resources requirements do not result in a small sidewalk instead of the promenade that has been promised;
- Heard City Traffic Engineer Ken Sides explain the city's preliminary plan to improve a crosswalk by two-laning Mandalay Avenue from Baymont Street to Bay Esplanade, using a landscaped meeting down the center.
A dinner cruise is planned for Clearwater Beach Association members aboard the Show Queen March 4. Cost is $25 per person and the size of the boat limits the number to the first 50 people. Reserve by calling 443-2168, or send a check to Clearwater Beach Association, P.O. Box 3295, Clearwater, Florida 33767. (Note that it is for the boat ride)
Prez Sez - If you're not a member of CBA you are missing the boat. We are planning a giant yard sale, a neighborhood picnic, baseball outing, Christmas party and much more. Join today by sending your $25 dues to CBA or call 461-1747 for a membership application.
CBA Board meets at 6 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month at the Clearwater Beach Recreation Center. Members and prospective members are welcome to attend.
Return to Home Page
Return to Current Edition