One in three Americans will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. The American Cancer Society Relay For Life gives everyone the opportunity to fight back and to make a difference in the battle against cancer.
Teams from local businesses, clubs, families, friends, hospitals, faith-based groups, schools, and service organizations will be taking part in Relay For Life Greater Belleair this weekend; Friday and Saturday, April 20 and 21, 6 p.m. Friday - 11 a.m. Saturday. With your help they, and you, can make a difference.
The second annual Relay will be held at the Belleair Town East Soccer Field, Southeast corner of Varona Street and Ponce de Leon Blvd. The overnight 18-hour event is held to honor those in their fight against cancer, remember those lost to the disease, and support those helping to find a cure.
The following schedule of events begins with a $6 BBQ Chicken dinner provided by the Belleair Bluffs Fire Fighters' Association and available to the public:
- 5:00-8:30 p.m. - BBQ Chicken Dinner open to public $6 (includes ¼ chicken, side salad, and roll)
- 6:00 p.m. - Opening Ceremonies
- 6:15 p.m. - Survivor lap
- 6:30-7:30 p.m. - Complementary Survivor Dinner for local cancer survivors and caregivers provided by Lee Roy Selmon's
- 9:00 p.m.- Luminaria Ceremony in honor of, memory of, and support of all cancer patients
- 10:30 a.m. Saturday-- Closing Ceremonies
If you are a cancer survivor, or interested in making a donation to this worthwhile cause, or are willing to volunteer to help during the event, please call event chair Sharon Fleschute 517-1222.