Rattlesnake Kills Dog in Belleair Beach
By c.j. pollick
Belleair Beach -- When Doug and Nan Sellers of Belleair Beach were walking their eight-year old Golden Retriever they noticed he was physically having problems. They immediately took their pet to the veterinarian who tried to treat the large dog for a snake bite to the nose. They assumed it was from a poisonous snake. Unfortunately for "Meeko," the medicine came a bit too late, the longtime pet died while being treated.
The Sellers then wondered if the poisonous snake was still near their home at the corner of Wedgewood and Belle Isle. Doug Sellers discussed the problem with his lawn service man and he searched in the nearby bushes for the snake. Sure enough, the lawn man found and killed the four-foot-long rattlesnake. "I thought it would stay in the immediate area!" said Doug Sellers after hearing that the lawn service found the snake, "Imagine such a thing in your backyard?" Four-foot-long rattlesnake.
With a city park near the area where the rattlesnake bite occurred, citizens of Belle Isle quickly passed the news of the rattlesnake bite to a neighbor's pet dog.
Residents of Florida have been regularly alerted to two major types of poisonous snakes that could be found on local properties, rattlesnakes and coral snakes.
If residents find a questionable snake on their property, they should report the finding immediately to the police department who can direct whatever services might be needed. In Belleair Beach that means calling the Sheriff's Department.
Return to Current Edition