Cost Efficient Additional Parking for Clearwater Beach
To increase beach parking during peak times the city should develop the land south of Highway 60 just east of the Mandalay Bridge. Listed below are the items that need to be done to accomplish this task:
1. Shift the existing paved walking path south to maximize the parking lots area.
2. Move the existing parking lots northern boundary closer to Highway 60 to maximize the parking lots area.
3. Pave the west end of the parking lot and install proper signs, car stops and pavement markings. (The east end would remain grass and would only be used during peak times.)
4. Relocate the parking lot entrance east, so it can be entered from Highway 60 prior to the Mandalay Bridge.
5. Relocate the parking lot exit to east of the new entrance.
6. During peak times provide shuttle service from the parking lot to the parking area north of the post office. The new shuttle vehicles would be narrow width battery powered and would use the new Mandalay pedestrian bridge for routing.
- George K. Schultz
Return to Current Edition