Return to Home Page
Alarming Statistics About Oral Cancer
Did you know that a person dies from oral cancer every hour? Here are some starling statistics about oral cancer:
Ask your dentist about a simple, inexpensive, and painless screening for oral cancer.
- Approximately 35,310 people in the US will be diagnosed with oral cancer this year.
- The high mortality rate associated with oral cancer is due to late detection.
- For three years in a row there has been an increase in the occurrence rate of oral cancer, largely due to the HPV-16 virus (human papilloma).
- The death rate associated with oral cancer is higher than other cancers you routinely hear about, such as: breast, cervical, Hodgkin's, prostate, liver, kidney, thyroid, and colon.
- The incidence rate for oral cancer is three times greater than cervical cancer in the US.
- 90% of oral cancer occurs in patients 45 years or older.
- Men above the age of 45 have the highest risk of developing oral cancer.
Return to Current Edition