CLEARWATER — Here’s what the calendar at the city’s Aging Well Center has to offer in August.
• Wellness Wednesday: from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday. Steven Masely, MD, Family Medicine, author of Ten Years Younger and PBS television presenter, will discuss a plan to tune up your heart, energy and waistline. Free. Seating is limited. To register call Baycare at (727) 253-4076.
• Therapy Dogs: 1 to 2 p.m. Aug. 29. Meet and learn about the Clearwater Police Department’s therapy dogs. These dogs are used to provide needed comfort to victims and witnesses who have experienced traumatic events. Free.
• Crime Prevention Program 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 30. The Clearwater Police Department presents proactive ways to protect your home, vehicle and person. Speakers include: Sergeant Wilton Lee, Detective Meg Hasty, Detective Greg Smith and Detective Matt Dupree. Topics include: a discussion on neighborhood crime trends including burglaries, robberies, and economic crimes from 10 to 11:30 a.m.; and informational and interactive sessions regarding on engraving valuables, installing flood lights, and other crime preventative measures from 11:30 to 1 p.m.
The complete program guide is available at www.myclearwater.com/agingwell. For information or to register call (727) 724-3070 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
The center is also looking for volunteers to teach one of the following new technology-based classes:
• How to use an iPhone, iPad, Android smart phone and/or PC tablet. This class is geared towards older adults regarding device features like settings, applications, and processes.
• How to research ancestry and family histories online. This class will provide one-on-one or small group assistance to patrons doing online genealogy searches.
Volunteers must be knowledgeable about each topic and feel comfortable explaining basic functions.
To become a volunteer, an application must be completed and a background check will be required.
For information, call the city’s Parks and Recreation Department at (727) 562-4803, send an e-mail to
Krystal.Epperson@MyClearwater.com or sign up to volunteer at www.myclearwater.com/parksvolunteer